It is used to eliminate developed static charge plastic products. Polymers and Plastics are inherent insulators in nature and thus when subjected to triboelectric environments can accumulate electrostatic charge on their surfaces. This happens when polymers are subject to friction with other materials of similar or dissimilar nature (for eg. metals) or their separation from other surfaces. When the charged polymer surface comes in contact with a neutral or oppositely charged surface (including humans) there is a possibility of spontaneous electrostatic discharge.
A range of anti-static masterbatches can be offered depending upon the expected service life and level of surface resistivity reduction desired (usually resistivity of 109 Ohm/ Sq is achievable with regular antistats, we are working for 108 Ohm/Sq), relative humidity levels during use, regulatory requirements eg. food approvals and criticality in post-processing such as surface printing and treatment.
This spontaneous electrostatic discharge is undesirable due to various reasons:
It can cause constraints in handling and processing of plastics including post-processing, conveying, packing, storage and transport
- This leads to the undesirable accumulation of dust, dirt, and other contaminants on plastics surfaces which reduces aesthetics hampers end-user functionality (eg. sealing ability, paintability), increased rejects in critical applications like food and medical packaging
- Can damage sensitive circuits in electrical and electronic components, military hardware, medical equipment, PLCs, and microelectronics of ancillary processing equipment at the plant
- Pose significant fire and explosion hazard in the vicinity of flammable materials such as solvents or explosive dust and gases
- Unwelcomed electric shocks to operators on the shop floor with the possibility of critical accidents in extreme cases
Anti Static masterbatches are added to address the above challenges. Most regular anti stats are incompatible with polymers and thus migrate to the surface and form a hydrophilic layer which enables the safe discharge of accumulated static charge. This mechanism is dependent on ambient relative humidity levels.
- Efficiently reduce resistivity.
- Long-acting anti-static effect.
- Performance will not be decreased by wiping or exterior friction.
- Good compatability with various general & engineering plastic.
- Excellent dispersing ability.
- Pellet form, will not produce dust pollution.
- Reduce state charge of products, prevent electric shock.
- Increase added-value of products
- Performance will not be decreased by wiping or exterior friction
- Resistant to water. Can still eliminate the buildup of static electricity
- Using in the shell of electronic products to protect the electronic circuit
- Can be kneaded with general and engineering plastic, pigment & filler
- Suitable for extruder and injection molding machine